Believe it or not, it's Cuisle time again! Seems like it was only - a year ago that I was entering last year's competition. Oh wait, it was a year ago!
Anyway, if you're under eighteen, I would strongly suggest entering. I mean, how many other poetry competitions give out trophies? Trophies.
The details are below.
Limerick City International Poetry Festival 12-15 Oct 2011
YOUNG POET OF THE YEAR COMPETITION
Cuisle Young Poet of the Year Competition would like you to write a poem or three poems. This or these Poems can be about anything, anything that matters to you, things that happen in your life: special occasions or everyday events.
This competition is promoted by Cuisle, Limerick City International Poetry Festival. Winners will be invited to read during our festival in October and prizes will be awarded at a special award ceremony.
Start writing now! Send us your poems. We look forward to reading them.
RULES OF COMPETITION
• Entries for Cuisle Young Poet of the Year Competition 2011 may be on any subject and not more than 30 lines.
• Entries are invited in 3 CATEGORIES:
Category 1: Poets aged 8-12: under 12 on 1st September 2011
Category 2: Poets aged 12-15: under 15 on 1st September 2011
Category 3: Poets aged 15-18: under 18 on 1st September 2011
• Entries are welcomed in both Irish and English.
• Entries should be submitted typewritten on A4 pages.
• The name and address of the poet must NOT appear on the manuscript.
• Entrants may submit up to 3 poems, EACH with a completed Entry Form.
• Poems must be submitted by 14th September, 2011 at the latest.
• Each entry must be the original work of the poet, must not have been published or broadcast previously nor already submitted elsewhere for publication. Entries will not be returned.
• Entries must be submitted by post to:
Cuisle Young Poet of the Year Competition
Limerick City Council
• Entries will not be accepted by email.
• Please mark envelope(s) Cuisle Young Poet of the Year Competition.
• Prizes will be awarded in each category.
• Winners will be notified in October, 2011.
• Winners will be announced at the Cuisle International Poetry Festival 12-15 October 2011, and will be invited to take part in a special Cuisle Awards Ceremony in Limerick.
For further information on any of the events contact:
Competition Co-ordinator: Bertha McCullagh. Tel: 085 7593265
The Arts Office: Tel. 061 407363
Entry forms may be downloaded from www.limerickcity.ie or www.meta.ie (here is a link to a printable pdf entry form - the details are also on the pdf)
Entry forms also available from Schools, Colleges, Libraries and Belltable Arts Centre at Limerick Tourist Information Office: tel. 061319866.
Information and Application forms also on Poetry Ireland website www.poetryireland.ie/resources/competitions.php
For more information on the Cuisle Festival, the link is here.
For older poets, The Stony Thursday Book, a Limerick based poetry magazine, will also be published as part of the festival, but unfortunately submissions closed on the 12th of August. There is always next year however.